With the trend of corporate wellness programs surging since the 2000s, companies desire healthier employees to increase productivity and lessen health insurance claims. As a result, health coaching has become more utilized than ever before. Learn to transform the way people live by expanding your expertise in exercise science, fitness and behavior modification. This course is comprised of a combination of classroom lecture and hands-on training in our on-site fitness center.
High school diploma or equivalent, completion of our Basic Skills Assessment and submission of the Program Application. Working knowledge of computers and access to a computer and the Internet are required.
The Basic Skills Assessment and Program Application are located online. The instructions are here. You will be directed to the program application after completing the skills assessment.
- Principles of motivation
- Behavior change
- Building client rapport
- Developing and implementing weight and stress management plans
- Incorporating physical activity to improve overall health
- Developing improved nutrition and eating habits
- Evaluating client’s current habits and creating personalized goals and action plans based on their specific needs
This two-month, 30-hour certificate program will assist you in preparing for the American Council on Exercise Health Coach Certification exam. The requirements are as follows, and details are available here.
You must submit proof of one of the following:
- Current NCCA-accredited certification in fitness, nutrition, healthcare, wellness, human resources or a related field
- An associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university in fitness, exercise science, nutrition, healthcare, wellness or a related field
- A completed health coach training and education program approved by the International Consortium for Health and Wellness Coaches (ICHWC)
- A minimum of two years of documented work experience in coaching, leading, designing, implementing, or facilitating one or more of the following: behavior or lifestyle change, exercise, wellness, nutrition, or physical activity
“This class was a great opportunity for me. The program here at KSU was very affordable when compared to other colleges. The timeframe was great and the instructors were knowledgeable.”
— Jermile Richards, graduate
- Interest-free payment plans available on a case-by-case basis
- VA Education Benefits
- Continuing education loans
— Employment in this field is projected to grow 21% through 2022 (Bureau of Labor Statistics).
— Health coaching was named one of the top emerging health trends for 2015 in a survey by the American College of Sports Medicine (Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends).
— According to the Huffington Post, 51% of all employers with a workforce of 50+ employees created workplace wellness programs in 2013.
— With 500+ vendors selling these programs, workplace wellness is estimated to be a $6 billion industry.