HR Management Certificate Overview and Topics
Not sure which course to take? Try our HR decision tree.
To attend this program, it is recommended that you have a good command of the English language due to the volume and complexity of the program material. Computer, printer and Internet access are mandatory.
The traditional in class program is 43.5 hours in length. Class sessions are:
- 1 1.5 hour class
- 12 3.5 hour classes
- Total: 13 weeks – one night per week.
Courses are offered at Kennesaw and Atlanta.
Our online program is 42 hours for 12 weeks of instruction.
We also offer a new Saturday class at our Kennesaw location:
- 1 1.5 hour class (Orientation on Wednesday night)
- 5 8-hour classes on every-other Saturday
Anyone interested may attend our free information session to learn about the HR program and meet the instructors. Please register if you plan to attend. Information sessions are offered in Kennesaw at the KSU Center (map) in January, April and July. Register for the Career Open House/Information Session and the HR breakout session. Both are free.
First Night of Class (1.5 hours)
Instructors will distribute books, materials, assignments, and the course syllabus. They will also introduce the course highlights and answer questions about the course and SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification. The SHRM and KSU web resources will be explained.
Based on the new SHRM Learning System, the program covers four knowledge domains and nine competency models that HR professionals need to grow within their career.
The four knowledge domains:
The nine competency models:
1. Relationship Management
3. Leadership and Navigation
5. Global & Cultural Effectiveness
6. Ethical Practice
7. Business Acumen
8. Critical Evaluation
9. HR Expertise
Our Instructors have worked in a variety of industries and capacities and typically are currently HR consultants. They are required to have a current SPHR certification and at least 10 years of experience in the HR field. Several of our instructors have been teaching for this program over 10 years.
The course fee includes the most current SHRM Learning System. This includes workbooks, software, and online tools to enhance comprehension and retention. Achieve a competitive edge with these proven features:
- Updated content based on SHRM’s new body of knowledge.
- More than 1,600 questions allow you to test your knowledge and better prepare for the certification exam.
- A 100-question bonus test that mimics the SHRM certification exam so you can hone your test taking skills.
- Audio downloads for Webcasts available through the online Resource Center allowing students to learn from HR experts on their commute to and from work.
- Certificates from Continuing Education at KSU and SHRM are awarded to students who meet the requirements for attendance and grading.